A Service Advisor’s main responsibility is to interpret customer concerns for the auto mechanic, so that the mechanic can diagnose and repair problems correctly. The advisor then translates the actual repair problem, which may be very complicated, into language the customer can understand. Auto Service Advisors also work with customers to schedule service and handle administrative aspects of customer service departments.
- Greeting customers and scheduling service appointments
- Cataloguing customers concerns and comments
- Writing service orders and descriptions of problems and repairs
- Translating customers’ repair problems into standard repair terminology
- Explaining repairs to customers
- Test-driving vehicles to confirm service repairs
- Estimating the cost and time needed for repairs
- Handling customer complaints
- Previous experience and a working knowledge of automobiles.
- Customer service skills.
- Sales experience.
- Proficiency with computers and technology.
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts to laypeople.